Monday, April 4, 2011

Giddy Gardener

That's me.  I love this time of year when we plant goodies in our garden.  I love sitting on my deck and admiring our work.  And watching things spring from the ground and grow.



Lots of things are coming up right now.  I love when beans and legumes come up.  The beans that we planted have split open and are growing what will eventually become the bush beans and limas.  I love how the original bean tries to cling on for as long as possible.



One of the first things to break ground this year was our corn.  It was a race against the squirrels and their voracious appetites and we won...this time.


And a little surprise was this tiny fellow.


Last year we tried to grow asparagus and we had these beautiful fern-like stalks that filled their little square.  And that was about it.  So in preparing the garden this year, I pulled the still beautiful fern-like growth out.  I thought I got all the roots but gladly, I did not.  I may have to pull out the silver to dine on this delicious little morsel.  I think I'll designate a permanent location for asparagus now that I'm learning how it grows here.

~R, the Giddy Gardener.


2 comments:

  1. Why are you growing glue sticks? Wouldn't it be easier to just buy them??

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the garden in spring too for the same reasons. It is fascinating how the plants grow and the garden doesn't seem to have the weeds right away either. I tried asparagus but to no avail. Maybe one day when I get the water situation worked out.

    ReplyDelete

How sweet of you to drop by.