Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Growing Boys

I can't believe how big my boys are getting.  This past weekend we were hit with a cold front and Pete had zero pants and RePete had one pair.  I don't know how that happened except I do have a fuzzy memory of sneaking worn running pants into the trash each time I did a load of laundry this past spring. Pete has a thing for comfortable clothing.

I also recall a dim memory of loading jean after jean into the bag I donate to the Vets every couple of months.  RePete likes things a little more polished and likes jeans and collared shirts.   Although, his Tony Hawk t-shirt collection is spilling out of his drawer.

All this meant we had to go clothes shopping.  Of course, on the way to the store, Pete declared that he would only be purchasing running pants.  RePete stated that he needed a new hoodie since he only had one in the closet.  Hmmm.  Thoughts are seeping out that show me putting hoodie after hoodie into the Vet bag last spring when I washed and stowed our coats.

While Pete tried on his pants of choice I was looking at jeans and picked up his size with the added Husky on the label.  His issue with clothing goes back to when he was very little.  He's never liked elastic on the arms or legs and has always preferred soft clothing to stiffer items, like jeans.  But I took a chance and showed him the pants and asked him just to try them and if he didn't like them, I was fine with that.  Well he liked them.  He liked them a lot.  Even though he doesn't need a husky, that little bit of extra room kept the jeans from feeling so...jean-like.  And the jeans had the worn look, so they were softer anyway.  We bought three pair.

RePete was easy because he likes jeans and I just picked up three pair in his size.  He found the hoodie of his dreams, but they didn't have his size.  I found the manager and there were none in the back and none at the other stores.  He couldn't even find it at the store online.  So we are on the hunt for it ourselves online.  Somebody has to sell it.  Normally, I'd have him pick something else, but he's not a picky kid and will wear just about anything I give him (since I like tailored clothing myself) and I want him happy.

And then I came home and found a Rubbermaid tub in the top of Pete's closet that had a label of 8-10 winter on it.  Now Pete has six more brand new pair of pants.  These were jeans and stiffer cargo type pants that Pete would never wear.  There were also five winter shirts for Repete.  So other than the hoodie, he's done.  I love hand-me-downs.

Now to take a better inventory of Pete's drawers and see how much more shopping I need to do.

~R


No comments:

Post a Comment

How sweet of you to drop by.