Thursday, February 28, 2008

3rd grade

I am in great turmoil over those two words. My question is do I continue home schooling? I know the pros and cons to public school and home school. We've done both. I am exhausted.

If you home school and your child doesn't like to read and doesn't like to write, what are you using? I've been reading about unschooling for a bit now. I can't quite grasp it and that is likely due to the "system" being ingrained in my brain. I feel like if I can get him interested in reading, the rest will fall in place. Pete is in second grade this year. He is reading at a second grade level at this point. But it is like pulling teeth to get him to read.

Unfortunately, books that would interest him are above his reading level and I don't know if he would want to read even if he could. And how many times can one child forget how to subtract? It's convenient, really. Amazingly, if I show him again and also gently let him know his play time is wasting away while he sits and whines, he slowly remembers what all that subtraction is about.

I'm talking motivation people. How do I get him some? What programs are just so darn fun that kids want to do them?

No comments:

Post a Comment

How sweet of you to drop by.