Friday, February 8, 2008

Troublemaker

My son Pete is an entertainer. Unfortunately, while he attended public K it got him into trouble. He did things like fall out of his chair, "trip" and fall and many other things that got a big laugh out of his friends and a red mark in his teacher's book.

Apparently he has missed his audience. I took him to the gym yesterday and he and RePete were in the children's area while I worked out. When I came back to claim my kids, Pete had 4 little girls all clamoring for his attention and giggling. Pete came out and said that those girls were hanging all over him and he kept making them laugh. The Childwatch ladies all gave me knowing looks and commented on what a comedian he was. Pete was in his element.

As we climbed in the car, Pete said he missed school because the kids always thought he was funny and now he didn't have anyone who laughed at him. So I tried to explain that being laughed at in school wasn't always a good thing and reminded him of getting into trouble. In the end he understood, but still wanted his applause.

Then he asked if I ever got into to trouble at school. For the most part I was a goody goody but I, like Pete, loved to talk and make kids laugh. I explained that when I was in school, we didn't have agendas sent home everyday with green, yellow and red lights marked in them. The teachers took care of us in class. We had to write sentences and I had to write A LOT of sentences. Pete reasoned that this wasn't a bad thing because if we knew how to spell, we could just write them and be done. So I explained that the teacher usually wrote the sentence on the blackboard and even if you didn't know how to spell, you could just copy it.

He pondered this for a moment and then said, "Mom, I don't think that could have happened. I don't think they had blackboards when you were in school."

Ba-dum-bum. (cue laughbox)

~R

No comments:

Post a Comment

How sweet of you to drop by.