Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Thermograms

I know October was Breast Cancer awareness month and I missed the boat, but I wanted to put in a plug for thermograms.  Last November after my physical, I scheduled a mammogram as per my doctor's suggestion.  I have to admit that other than the wait and having a strange women pull and tug and rearrange my breasts (oh and not being able to wear deodorant) multiple times, it wasn't so bad.  I'd heard the horror stories of the pain and the squeezing and squashing.

A week or so after that I received a letter stating that there was an area of concern and that I needed to come back for a second mammo and possibly an ultrasound.

Even though we have no family history of cancers and even though my gut told me that it was nothing, in fact it was probably just my fibrous boobs (family history), letters like that will make you pause and cause butterflies in the tummy.

So I called and set a second appointment and then my doctor called that same day to make sure I was scheduling an appointment and then I went.

THIS time it hurt.  The area of concern was on the area closest to my underarm but still on the breast area.  It actually made me cry.  And then they did two ultrasounds.  It took FOREVER.

The whole time I kept thinking, this can't be good for me.  The squishing and the squashing just didn't feel right to me and I vowed to myself and my doctor (who called for a follow up and insisted on a six month mammo to set a baseline) that I would never do this again.

So here we are almost a year later and I'm due for a physical again and I thought I'd be proactive by getting a thermogram.

I highly recommend them.  There's no squeezing, there's no squashing and the results are instantaneous.  I'd love to share my results but I've gotta keep things PG on here and am not in the mood for the type of spam I'd get from that.

Anyhoo, it was just fibrous tissue.  Btw, they aren't covered by insurance.  Figures.

Test you breast,
~R

ps here's a link to Dr. Mercola's site with a video that describes it rather well.
pss it cost me about $200 and I'll gladly pay it again.
psss neither procedure is 100%

1 comment:

  1. whew - glad it was nothing but annoying fibrous tissue.

    I had my first one last year too - and was happy to hear the technician say, "Well, I can tell you one thing...your breasts are easy to read." Never had I heard such encouraging words. hahah

    ReplyDelete

How sweet of you to drop by.