Saturday, April 5, 2008

Grandparents

I reluctantly agreed to go with my sister to NC to visit my Grandmother. She turned 75 on April 2nd.
The reluctance is due in part to the fact that we'll be in a car with our three boys aged 13, 8, 4 for almost five hours Friday night. It's also partly due to the fact that my Mom is surprising my Grandma with a little shindig at the old folks meeting house Saturday afternoon. I don't know what else to call it. My Grandma lives in an "elderly apartment complex" and there is not one single thing for 8 and 4 year olds to do.
We are staying with my Dad the night before and I am waking them up early and making them run all over the yard about 100 times (and no I don't mean 7 times). Hopefully this will expend enough energy that they will behave themselves at the party.
Oh and did I mention the family that will attend are from my Mom's side. Several cousins that I could seriously do without seeing will be coming. The joys of family get-togethers. What's that saying about "you can pick your friends, but you can't pick your family" Definitely applies here.
And lastly, it's because we then will be driving the almost five hours back home Saturday night so my sister can enjoy a day off before returning to work.
I had planned on sending a really nice gift and wishing her a Happy Birthday from afar. But my sentimental sister said we had to go because it's her 75th. Of course I'm all like yeah, so, what if she has another birthday next year. She laughed and I'm thinking maybe I shouldn't have said that out loud.
~R

No comments:

Post a Comment

How sweet of you to drop by.